Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: Cookin Greens

Through Food Bloggers of Canada, I requested coupons for Cookin' Greens Products. As part of the deal, I promised to blog about my experiences with the product. I picked up the 100% kale version of this product (there are many kinds of cookin' greens, including mixed products).

Creamy Potato and Kale Stew
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup chopped onions (approx 2)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup chopped celery (approx 4 stalks)
4 cups stock/water
1 1/2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1 can chickpeas
3 cup Cookin' Greens, kale

Saute onions and red pepper flakes in oil until the onions are translucent. Then add chopped celery and cook for a few minutes. Add stock, mashed potatoes, chickpeas, and kale. Cook until the celery is tender and the kale is no longer frozen.

This stew is pleasantly spicy and very creamy. I would definitely make this again. Unfortunately I would not use this product again but would instead use fresh kale. The frozen cookin' greens includes the kale steams which are woody and unpleasant. I do not see the benefit of using this frozen product as the unique flavor and texture of fresh kale seems to disappear into a bland mess when flash-frozen for this product.              

No comments:

Post a Comment