Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Apple Pie does double duty...

I celebrated Pi day (March 14th) a little late this year as I was on my way to Halifax and didn't want to have to eat a whole pie in 1/2 a day by myself!

This is the Cosmo Apple Pie from Vegan Pie in the Sky with an olive oil crust. I have been a fan of Isa and Terry's for years, but I really think that their standards are in decline. I have no recipe fails from Veganomicon or Vegan with a Vengeance, but had tons of fails from Vegan Brunch. Vegan Pie in the Sky is on the edge - there are some good ideas (balsamic vinegar in a fruit pie, and olive oil crust) but the recipes simply do not seem as well tested. I feel like Isa makes a recipe once and puts it in the book. That is not gonna work out well in the long run!

This was my first ever apple pie and it was okay but a little under baked. I would make the pie dough again, as I really like the conception of the olive oil crust. You take some oil and put it in the freezer for about an hour and use that as the fat in the crust. It works well.

This pie had to serve double duty as it was used to celebrate my 4th wedding anniversary. The traditional wedding gift for the 4th year of marriage is fruits and nuts, so I made a fruit pie! Next year is WOOD!

What did you do for Pie day this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment