Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dough: Swedish Caraway Bread

Swedish Caraway Bread. Isn't that a grand name for a bread? This bread almost lives up to the name.

I picked up a giant book of bread recipes from the second hand store a few weeks ago. It's called New Complete Book of Breads by Bernard Clayton. Once got home and started flipping through it, I realized that some pages were ripped out. This was a sign that a) the book sucks and the person who owned it ripped out the few good recipes and left crap or b) the book is full of excellent recipes and those that were ripped out became family favorites.

I'm inclined to believe that it's the latter, as I have tried 5 or 6 recipes from this book thus far and they've all turned out wonderful. I plan on collecting the missing recipes from a library copy of the book.

Swedish Caraway Bread
Mix
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon margarine
1 t caraway

  Boil. Cool to lukewarm and add
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast

Knead in 1 cup flour. Let sit for 1 1/2 hours. Knead in 1 cup flour.
Shape. Rise 1 hour. Bake 1 hour at 350.

Notes:
Admittedly, I forgot to shape the loaf when I was supposed to. I realized at the 1 hour point and quickly shaped it. It wasn't that worse for wear!
The only reason this recipe doesn't get 5 stars is because the orange flavor is completely lost. It's quite yummy though!

1 comment:

  1. You are making me so jealous right now! I wish I could eat gluten because this definitely sounds so good...

    ReplyDelete