Monday, October 10, 2011

Dough: City Bread


The name of this bread - City bread - was the motivating factor of baking this loaf. I also wanted to see how strong my sourdough starter was. As it turned out, the starter was almost strong enough and the name was the only redeeming factor of this bread.

The first time I made this loaf, I followed the directions exactly and faithfully put in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. It's my understanding that salt kills yeast. The consequences of this much salt was a loaf that didn't rise and a raw dough that was very intensely salty.

After throwing out that dough, I remade the dough and only put in 1/4 teaspoon of salt. It was much better. Although my starter isn't quiet strong enough, it is definitely getting there!

City Bread

4 cups flour
1 1/4 cool water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter

Knead. Rise for 4 hours. Shape. Rise for 4 hours. Bake for 1 hour.

Simply sour...

1 comment:

  1. A *tablespoon* of salt?! Oh sheesh, I can see why that wouldn't rise. (Makes me curious about the name though. Do cityfolk like salty, super dense white bread?)

    ReplyDelete